- Cheeky -
- 1 WHITE ONION, FINELY CHOPPED
- 2 TSP OLIVE OIL
- 100G FROZEN SPINACH
- 1 SMALL CLOVE GARLIC, CRUSHED
- 1/4 TSP FINELY GRATED LEMON RIND
- 2/3 CUP CREAM CHEESE
- 1/4 CUP GRATED PARMESAN
- SALT AND CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
- 3 CHICKEN BREAST FILLETS, TRIMMED
- PLAIN FLOUR, FOR DUSTING
- 2 EGGS, LIGHTLY BEATEN
- 1 1/2 CUPS PANKO BREADCRUMBS
- TOOTHPICKS REQUIRED TO ASSEMBLE FOR OVEN
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion in the oil until golden, add the spinach, garlic and lemon rind. Cook for another 2-3 minutes then remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Mix together the cream cheese, parmesan and spinach mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice each chicken breast in half along the middle. Pound lightly between sheets of baking paper until they are thin steaks.
- Lay each chicken steak out and spoon over a couple of teaspoons of spinach mixture. Fold over and use toothpicks to enclose and secure.
- Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Working on at a time, dust each chicken bomb in flour, dip in egg, and then gently coat in breadcrumbs. Place on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Shallow fry the bombs until golden brown, remove and drain on a paper towel then place on a lined baking tray and transfer to the oven. Continue cooking until fully cooked through.
- Carefully remove the toothpicks before serving and slice each bomb in half. Serve with salad or steamed vegetables.
- NOTE - Substitute with veal leg steaks. Serve with white bean mash for extra protein hit.
- DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE VERSION