- Secret -
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g button mushrooms
- 400g beef mince
- 800g can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 500g spaghetti
- Finely grated parmesan & basil leaves, to serve
- Finely chop mushrooms by hand, or alternatively pulse in a food processor until finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté for 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms, increase heat to high and cook for 5 minutes or until moisture has almost evaporated. Add tomato paste, cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add mince, cook, breaking up mince with wooden spoon, until mince changes colour. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until thickened. Stir in basil and season.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water following packet instructions. Drain and return to pan. Stir through mushroom sauce, parmesan and extra basil. Serve.
- DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE VERSION