- Mike Mcenearney's -
Old School Fish Cakes
- 450G ANY OILY FISH FILLET (E.G SALMON, OCEAN TROUT, SNAPPER, HOT SMOKED KINGFISH OR A MIXTURE OF ALL) SKIN AND PINBONES REMOVED
- 750ML (3 CUPS) FULL CREAM MILK
- 450G SEBAGO POTATOES, PEELED AND CUT INTO CHUNKS
- 2 TSP MUSTARD POWDER
- 1 BROWN ONION FINELY DICED
- 3 SPRING ONIONS FINELY SLICED
- 1/4 BUNCH DILL LEAVES, ROUGHLY CHOPPED
- 1/4 BUNCH FLAT LEAF PARSLEY LEAVES, ROUGHLY CHOPPED
- SALT FLAKES AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 150G (1 CUP) PLAIN FLOWER
- 4 EGGS
- 140G (2 CUPS) FRESH BREADCRUMBS
- 4 TBSP CLARIFIED BUTTER OR TBSP BUTTER AND 2 TBSP OLIVE OIL
- LEMON WEDGES AND TARTARE SAUCE TO SERVE
- Place the fish in a saucepan with 500ml (2 cups) of the milk and poach gently for 5 mins or until cooked. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly, then drain.
- Boil the potatoes until tender, then drain and mash until smooth. While these are boiling, sauté off your diced onion in the butter until transparent. While the potatoes and onion are still hot, mix the fish, mustard powder, onion, spring onion and chopped herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper, making sure you keep the fish in nice flakes and not overworked into the potato. Press the mixture into a baking dish to form a 3cm thick layer and chill in the fridge for at least one hour to firm up.
- Cut the chilled mixture into four patties using a large round cutter. With three shallow bowls, season the flour and place in one. Whisk the eggs with the remaining 250ml (1 cup) of milk and place in another. Tip the breadcrumbs into the final one.
- Gently toss the fish cakes in the flour for an even dusting, dunk them into the egg mixture until completely coated. Finally, press into the breadcrumbs, reshaping them neatly as you go. Heat the clarified butter or butter/oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the fishcakes until they are golden brown, crisp on both sides and warmed through. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Serve with lemon wedges and a small bowl of tartare sauce on the side.
- DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE VERSION